Saturday, May 16, 2015

DIY Farmhouse Table for $150


One of my dear friends has a bunch of kids and a table that was falling apart.  So we started talking about making a new table.  After lots of time on pinterest finding the perfect table, we chose this Farmhouse Table.  You can click on  Ana White's website for the plans to make your own.

I am an amateur power tool princess, but absolutely love power tools and learning how to make awesome things.  I have never made a table before and was excited to try it.  My friend trusted me and so we started this project.  

I got 4 2x10 by 8 foot Redwood Planks for the top of the table.  That cost $100 but this table needed a good, strong and beautiful top.  The cracks and imperfections were wood puttied, sanded and sanded some more.




Then I got the 2x4s out of pine, plus the 1x4.  Note to those of you that want to make this.  Make your long cuts first and then all the shorter ones.  We had to buy an extra board since I didn't do that and I didn't have a long enough board to make the last few cuts.  We used the miter saw to make these beautiful cuts.  Be very careful to make each one exact or you get some gaps when it is assembled.

I used Danish oil stain, Dark Walnut color for the stain on the entire table.  It turned out beautifully.



Then we assembled four of the "K" pieces.  This was much more difficult than I thought it would be.  We used a drill bit to make pilot holes and then countersunk the screws.  Use the 2 inch screws to assemble these.  


I changed Anna Whites plans for putting the ends together.  Instead of using finish nails and trying to patch the holes, we just glued and clamped them together.  Once assembled, this was very sturdy.   It was simple to do and there are no nail/screw holes to be seen.


Then we added the 1x4's to the top and bottom of each end piece.  Use the 2 inch screws and go into the meat of the wood. We countersunk each of the screws so it didn't split the wood.







The rest of it went together easily.  We added the next two pieces, making sure they were centered.  To make the table a bit simpler, we made a 45 degree cut on both of the 2x4s.  This was a slightly different version that Anna White had suggested.  



Use the 3 inch screw to put the 2 2x4's together.


All set and ready to assemble.


We put the table together in the dinning room.  We added the feet to the ends and assembled the cross beams when it was upside down.  Anna White's table has the cross pieces vertical.  I chose to put them horizontal.  (Mostly because I cut the braces that way without thinking about it.)  We made the pocket holes and then did pilot holes into the 2x4's.  Once the table was flipped over, you only see one set of screws.  Everything else was hidden.




Then we flipped the table right side up and did the last of the screws in the brace.  These are the only ones that you can see on the whole table.



Anna White's design was to use finish nails and drive them through the top the table into the 2x4's.  We really didn't want any hole in the top, so we added 1x6's to the top of the ends.  My friends little boy got to help with this!  We stained the edges just so no one would see them. It blended very well with the table.








Then we added to 4 2x10's to the top.  It took awhile to make it look just right, but it was worth it.  We counter sunk the screw from below through the 1x6 scrap wood.  This table seems really sturdy and is so beautiful.  






I really loved how it turned out.  It was a fun project and I learned so much.  It took more time than I was expecting but it was my first table.  Hope you enjoy it!!






2 comments:

Laurie said...

Sarah, This project is amazing. You could sell those tables for at least $500!

Sarah Kuhner said...

I already have an order for a 20 foot table.
That should be fun to make.